Prelude to Modern Civil Rights
In this unit, we will be learing about the issues with race relations leading up the American Civil Rights Movement. We will be exploring episodes of racial violence, military service in the world wars, and how reactions to these events paved the way for the modern civil rights movement.
- Students will be able to identify and explain trends with historical data from before the US civil rights movement.
- Students will response to historical data and historians descriptions of the events leading up to the modern civil rights movement.
- Students will be able to discuss the major issues surrounding race relations in the US before the civil rights movement.
- Short multiple choice quiz (objective 1)
- 2-3 response paper that ask students to examine one data visual and explain it. (objective 2)
- Small group discussion (objective 3)
Atlanta Race Riots
In September of 1906, the city of Atlanta was a war.
Atlanta Race Riot
African American Soliders in WW1 and WW2
Particpation in both world wars has been viewed as a major cataylst for Civil Rights.